Oct 5, 2008

The Sacrifice of Isaac

"Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about."

When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar there and arranged the wood on it. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. But the angel of the LORD called out to him from heaven, "Abraham! Abraham!" "Here I am," he replied.

"Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."

The angel of the LORD called to Abraham from heaven a second time and said, "I swear by myself, declares the LORD, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me."

Image via Doug at Unnatural Devotions

1 comment:

Anadæ Quenyan Effro said...

Ooogah. This inspires me (your dissertation does, Mikey, not our young model's depiction "de retro", although ... ) to spin that senior crooner Leonard Cohen's enchanting ditty "The Story of Isaac", redone by fast folk chanteuse Suzanna Vega on an all covers tribute compact disk TO the aforementioned folk rock great ... darn, it's around here somewhere ( ;-)} .. I am SO overdue for alphabetizing my musique.

Related Posts with Thumbnails