Sep 29, 2009

Recycle THIS!

Kirkland is having their semiannual Reuse -Recycle-Conserve Event this weekend, and the flyer has new rules, which include the (federally mandated) need for every single battery to be individually wrapped in plastic or have both terminals covered in tape, and I kinda hit the roof with that one. I have a big coffee can full of AAA batteries that was dutifully waiting for the Recycling Event, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend my time wrapping batteries as an unpaid Waste Management employee. It's almost as if they don't really WANT me to recycle.

It reminds me of the attempt of four star hotels to decrease their washing expenses by guilting their patrons into leaving their dirty sheets on the bed for an extra day or two - in order to save the planet. I'm sorry, but when I'm paying top dollar for a luxury hotel, one of the MAJOR luxuries is clean sheets every evening! I didn't notice a "saving the planet" refund on my bill. Funny how saving the planet only seems to benefit upstream in a Capitalist society.

Var had a Russian boyfriend back in the day, and Sergei related how soft drinks were vended in Russia: The machine supplied the drink, and the state supplied the glass. You picked up your glass, got your drink, and when you were done, you brought your glass back and washed it with state provided scrub brush and soap, and left it - sparkling clean for the next comrade. No muss, no fuss, no millions of plastic pop bottles choking the life out of the oceans.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to live in a place where I could trust my anonymous comrades to wash my glass, as if it were their own. What are the advantages of mutual trust to a biosphere? I wonder if She would tend to select for that attribute - and this is the real nutcracker: how might She give a competitive chance... to the noncompetitive?

Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. --Matthew 5:5

NOTES:

That is one crazy 55 synch. See Goro for more pentagram craziness.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails