May 16, 2007

The Mormon Missionary Position

I've been slogging through the Book of Mormon, though lately I admit to not much progress. If I read another "for it must needs be" I may shoot myself. Why read the Book of Mormon? Well, lots of reasons, but the main one is that Mormons are practically considered idolaters by "regular" Christians, and considered by the heathen to be even nuttier than the Christians, so right there a flag goes up, and I figure there might be some grains of truth to glean from such a maligned religion, or rather... book.

I've no doubt the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is as fucked up as all the other churches are, but their book, I'm not so sure. It's sorta like the Catholic, Council of Nicaea approved Holy Bible: the institution surrounding the bible has become utterly corrupt, yet I still value their book as a sort of diluted, abridged and occulted "Word of God".

Anyway, I figure a church that sends young, idealistic men out into the world on a "Mission From God", two by two... sleeping, eating, bicycle riding together, can't be all bad. I figure more than a few of them discovered their "true calling" while on a mission.

Art by Kent

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails