Oct 28, 2010

Two Meanings

'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.
--Jimmy Page


Alex Anderson, creator of Rocky and Bullwinkle passed on last week. The Bullwinkle Show is my all-time favorite cartoon (OK, The Bugs Bunny Show was fine, too), and I didn’t really appreciate it until I grew up. I mean, yes, it was fun as a kid, though I liked the gee wiz of Johnny Quest or Space Ghost better. But it was only after growing up that I understood there was a double meaning to the stories. One story for children, and another for adults, and both the same exact story. Now that’s good story telling!
This is why I speak to them in parables: "Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.” Matthew 13:13

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. --1 Corinthians 13:11
Most religious text is like the Bullwinkle Show: designed to entertain the masses (children) and enlighten the elect (the adults). You can read the bible or the Upanishads literally (like a child) or you can read them like an adult. And like any adult story, it involves plenty of sexual innuendo and wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more.

Thanks to Greg at Superversity for the heads up about Alex Anderson.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails