Mar 9, 2007

The Church of Brotherly Love

In Revelations 2-3, Jesus admonishes seven of his holy churches. All but one church hear a dire warning... and a call to repent. The only church found truly faithful after all the years, is the Church of Philadelphia.

Rev 3:7-13

To the angel of the church in Philadelphia write:

These are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open.

Philadelphia is Greek for "brotherly love". The Greeks are rather famous (and infamous) for a certain kind of love - the love of one "brother" for another. What if... what if Jesus is talking about US?

I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars...

Gay people have been pretty much despised for all of recorded history. I have a feeling that at it's core, homophobia revolves around the little fact that we don't contribute to the "sacred human seed". We don't make more men (soldiers, merchants, kings), and so way down on some deep level, we're next to "useless" to those involved in the Great Work.

I think we gay men know who the real enemy is - where that "synagogue of Satan" is to be found.

I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you.

Woah! How much homoerotic fantasy revolves around THAT event? The arrogant straight dude somehow finds himself falling down at your feet, sucking your cock, asking... even begging for it!

Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live on the earth.

That "hour of trial" is what the the Book of Revelation describes. Not exactly cheerful reading, at least, not until the end.

I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown.

A man's "crowning glory" is his cock, everyone knows that, or at least every homo knows that. Keep a good hold on it. (Like I even need to mention it?)

Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

It's interesting how similar this verse is to Isaiah 56:5 - the old testament promise of God to eunuchs (homosexuals):

to them I will give within my temple and its walls a memorial and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that will not be cut off.

Sounds to me like he's talking to the same "church".

Art: Achilles bandaging Patroclus

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails